Monday 6 August 2012




One of the final projects of my second year involved creating a batch of 21 wearable pieces, followed by 20 identical pieces. The brief was largely open- ended, leaving it for us to decide the material, concept and techniques. Whilst being slightly dazzled by the endless possibilites, I began to loosely focus on the Bauhaus notion of creating order out of chaos and challenging material perceptions. I was interested in creating structure out of 'mess' and slicing and sculpting cross sections of colour. I was equally interested in manipulating materials to create hybrid disguises.

After a lot of experimenting, I developed the idea of using wood veneer, which I chopped into tiny pieces, and forming them into clustered fold structures. The folded shape was taken directly from my previous experiments with acetate sheet, where I looked at applying the 'butterfly effect' to form. Throughout my development and final 41 piece collection I experimented with polypropylene, glass, card, acetate, clear resin, clear silicone rubber, brass rod and wood veneers. Below is one of the 20 identical pieces I made to be sold next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment