Wednesday 22 August 2012

Towards the beginning of my 20/21 project, the annual 'Collect' exhibition was on display in the Saatchi gallery. The four day exhibition showcases a wide variety of galleries involved in contemporary crafts. Two galleries that I was happy to see again were the Marzee and Gallerie RA, which are both located in Amsterdam. I was fortunate to visit both of them on a course trip. One of the jewellers presented by Gallerie RA this year was Boris De Beijer. His pieces are made by setting objects in resin and subsequently slicing and reconstructing the pieces into brooches. This sliced aesthetic was interestingly something I was looking at in my 20/21 project. Another piece that inspired the development of my own project was the work of Carina Chitsaz. Her geometirc structures that look a little like they've dropped out of space are made using silver, steel and graffiti. 

 Boris De Beijer

Carina Chitsaz

A few other things that caught my attention, were the clustered ring creations of Karl Fritsch. I have previously been intrigued by Fritsch's work as he challenges the associations of precious stones and metals. I also enjoyed the hybrid creatures made in porcelain by Hanne Tyrmi. 

Karl Fritsch

Hanne Tyrmi



Whilst the pieces I saw at the Collect exhibition inspired the design development for my 20/21 project, It was interesting to see the sliced creations of...after I had completed it. The large exhibition at the Natural History Museum was both intriguing and unsettling. The images below show a section of a sliced giraffe and the cross section of a rat.



No comments:

Post a Comment